Monday, September 7, 2009

Chicken Fried...Weekend

It's National Chicken Month and this weekend, we decided to do chicken fried trying out chicken bites and chicken wings.

Spicy Fried Chicken Bites with Derby Dip
Recipe courtesy Brian Boitano 2009

Ingredients
  • 4 strips bacon (I didn't do this part)
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 cups canola oil
Derby Dip:
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup blue cheese, room temperature, cut into small pieces
(I skipped the derby dip, but instead ate my bites with honey mustard.)

Directions
  1. Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, hot sauce, and chicken. (Added more hot sauce, Latin girls like it spicy!) Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, up to overnight.








  2. In a glass baking dish, whisk together the flour, cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
  3. Key steps!!! Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and add to the seasoned flour. Make sure all the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated. Remove the chicken from the flour mixture and put back into the buttermilk. Remove chicken from buttermilk and put back into the seasoned flour mixture for a second coating. (Make sure to shake off extra coating!)







  4. Transfer the double coated chicken to a baking sheet and reserve.
  5. Heat the canola oil in a large cast iron skillet to 350 degrees F. (I used Crisco shortening which worked really well. Use a deep fryer/candy thermometer to check the temp!) Add the reserved 2 tablespoons bacon fat. (I did it without the bacon fat...) Working in batches, fry the chicken until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.









  6. Transfer the cooked chicken to a sheet pan lined with paper towels.
So, I made this recipe tonight and here is what I found:

First, the process: I admit that the double dredging step was a bit tedious and annoying, but I promise you that this is the key to the flavorful crunch. In addition, the cast iron pan is a really good way to make this dish. You can pick a cast iron pan up for under $20 from your local hardware store, already prepared and seasoned! As the oil heats up, it pops a bit, but as it gets to the frying temperature it will start to subside, until you add the chicken. It shouldn't really pop violently, but bubble up around the chicken.

Second, the taste: the crunch is amazing! "But wait Diane" you think, "will the chicken still be moist?" Of course, reader, the meat is so tender and juicy! The marinade gets penetrates the meat and the chicken is really spicy, at least the way I make it.

I really can't stress how delicious these bites turned out. I say this as a frying amateur, in fact, I had a failed wing attempt yesterday, see below. Give this recipe a try for your next party for the big game or even put them on skewers and serve with a fancy sauce for your next cocktail event.

Wings
I love wings. I know it's generally bar food or saved for Super Bowl Sunday, but since it is National Chicken month, I decided to give it try. I don't think I'm the most amazing cook, but I do know my way around the kitchen. However, when it comes to wings, I need to leave it to the professionals.

I started off with a good plan: Laura and I were shopping at our local Whole Foods a while back and sampled some amazing wings that were made in house by the butchers. The greatest thing is that these marinated and seasoned wings were available for purchase, already prepared. This weekend, we decided to take some home with us and fry them up. Here are the mistakes I made: 1) I didn't get the oil hot enough. 2) I should have used a different type of oil. 3) I should have used a different pan.

So, they looked great as they were frying, as you can see.








Straight out of the oil they looked pretty good...






But... when we tasted them, wow did they fall short. We were so disappointed. The flavor was really bland, the oil was the only thing that we could taste.

So may I recommend two spots to get wings if you're in SLC where you can't go wrong:

Trolley Wing Company-- I suggest take out.
500 Trolley Sq
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
(801) 538-0745

3971 Wasatch Boulevard
Salt Lake City, UT 84124
801-274-WING / 801-274-9464

3 comments:

Diane Cañate said...

Sorry there is no final photo of the spicy chicken bites. They smelled too good and we ate them too fast to take a very good photo. You'll just have to trust me on this one. The end result should be crispy golden brown outside and a white cooked through deliciously moist inside.

krsiti williams said...

This looksfl really yummy! I want to try it out but am a little nervous about it. I may have to try and make it sometime when you’re around to assist :)

Monica said...

totally following you now! This is an awesome blog! I totally want to test out some stuff!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails