Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Easy As Pie...

Fall is definitely here. The markets are filled with the last peaches of the season, new squash, and of course apples, apples, apples! I have always wanted to try my hand at making pie and finally got the guts to do it! Being the daughter of a NYC native, I have always been told how it's impossible to find a pie with a properly flaky crust out west...needless to say, flakiness was my #1 goal with tastiness coming in at a close 2nd!


So here are my supplies, and here is my recipe for the crust!




I smashed the shortening into the flour! (next time I'm using butter-flavored shortening!)


After following the recipe to a "T"...I rolled out my dough and threw it in the freezer!


I cut (and peeled although not shown here) a mix of Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples, covered them in sugar and let them drain for a hour. Then I took the drained liquid and reduced it in a pan to save for later.



I mixed a bit of flour with cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, and brown sugar together with my reduced apple/sugar liquid...and put it all into my chilled pie crust! Covered the top, cut some slits, and threw it in the oven. (next time I need to put in MORE apples)




Then we waited...



It wasn't the prettiest apple pie, but it had a flaky crust and a delicious spiced apple filling! I'd say...MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!


Donna P. would be proud!

1 comments:

sarahjanedaily said...

yummmmm. i'll bring the vanilla bean ice cream next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails