Wednesday, September 8, 2010

L'Shanah Tovah!

...or in other words "for a good year!" Sunset today marks the beginning of Rosh Hashanah (literally meaning the head of the year), also referred to as Jewish New Year. This holiday is the first of the high holidays during which Jewish observers set aside time to focus on repentance, concluding on Yom Kippur.

I love Jewish holidays because they involve traditional dishes that I attempt to replicate in my kitchen. I really had a tasty success last Hanukkah with my sufganiyots. A Rosh Hashanah menu traditionally calls for apples and honey to symbolize a sweet new year. Whole fish is also often served, as the head of the fish represents the "head" of the year.  Since we have just moved into a new place we do not have any of our kitchen items unpacked, meaning you all will have to do the cooking for us. I have included some sites below that have put together menus for the high holiday.

Food Networks 16 recipes to ring in the Jewish New Year
Joan Nathan's French Rosh Hashanah Dinner

Luckily, my local Whole Foods has a Rosh Hashanah spread in their prepared food section that will appease my holiday cravings. We cannot wait to get back into the kitchen! New recipes to come soon!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails