Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cinco De Mayo

Cinco De Mayo is not Mexican Independence Day, which is actually on September 16. It is actually a celebration to commemorate victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla. In Mexico, this holiday is primarily celebrated in Puebla, but as a California native deeply influenced by Mexican-American culture, I celebrate every year! The food, music, dancing...did I mention the food?

Street tacos are my favorite Mexican fare and in case you cannot get to this authentic, tasty experience the recipe below will make up for it ten fold!

Carne Asada Tacos
Courtesy of Aaron Sanchez for Food Network Magazine

Ingredients
  • 1 12-ounce jar sliced pickled jalapenos, drained
  • 1 1 3/4-pound flank steak,trimmed
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped white onion
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • Lime wedges, for serving
  • 2-4 tablespoons salsa (homemade or store-bought)
  • Corn tortillas (homemade or store-bought)
(Homemade in my current transient state has meant Whole Foods made it...that's the same thing right?)

Directions

  1. Make tortillas, if you're using Homemade Tortillas
  2. Marinate the steak: Spread the jalapenos in a baking dish and press the steak on top. Cover and set aside at room temperature, about 1 hour.
  3. Preheat a grill or grill pan to high. Brush the jalapenos off the steak, pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice.
  4. Assemble the tacos: For each taco, stack 2 tortillas and lay a few pieces of steak in the middle. Top with onion, salsa and cilantro. Top with lime wedges.

*To make your own salsa, use Aaron's recipe for Salsa de Arbol (or store-bought salsa).
Photograph by Tina Rupp

Here are several mouth-watering Cinco De Mayo recipes and I hope you will add them to your table this year! And in case you cannot be bothered to cook, or you are a quasi-transient like me, below are a few places to get stuffed that we've tried:


1 comments:

Suzie Soda said...

I love Cinco de Mayo. Good thing our food was so good last weekend at my party because the food I had tonight at a restaurant wasn't that great. I should have gone to my regular place.I will try some of the ones you suggested when I can. I may even make my awesome chicken enchiladas next time.

Related Posts with Thumbnails