Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Basics: Chicken Stock

I have been wanting to make my own chicken stock like Ina for a long time, unfortunately it's hard to set aside hours and hours to stirring and skimming over a stock pot. So, I turned to my slow cooker!

I grabbed some vegetables...a bunch of celery, 1½ onions quartered, some carrots,
sprigs of thyme, a bunch of sage, and a bit of rosemary
.
First, I layered the slow cooker with onion, 4 celery stalks roughly chopped (with leaves). Then, smashed a few garlic cloves and threw those in. 
Next, I grabbed a leftover rotisserie chicken with quite a bit of meat left on it. I placed the chicken carcass on the veggies and then added in a bit of thyme, sage, and rosemary. Finally, I cracked some pepper and a bit of kosher salt over the chicken. (wish I could have just done whole peppercorns.)


I added water until the crock was about ¾ full. and cover. 


Put your slow cooker on high for 4 hours and then lowered it down to the low setting for 6 hours. (Then, I did whatever I wanted.) I let it cool for about twenty minutes and I put it through a strainer.  Once I discarded the vegetables and bones...and skimmed off a bit of the fat, I put it into some quart paper cartons. I refrigerated it until cold, skimmed off more fat and put it in the freezer to be used in something tasty!

Don't be afraid to taste it at the end and season as appropriate! I would suggest doing less salt so you can add it in your recipe when you eventually use it. 

Stay tuned to see how I use the stock. 

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails