Thursday, October 9, 2008

Date: October 9, 2008
Guests: Diane, Laura, and Rebecca Cañate
Place: au naturale
Order: Roasted Yam & Black Bean Burrito, Grilled Veggie & Goat Cheese Sandwich, Grilled Ahi Tuna Sandwich. 

 Part of the modernity of au naturale is an anti-fast food persona. When we first walked in we ran into the menus. The menu is placed on four large boards. As modern and hip as this seems, it's not a totally great idea because I almost ran into a woman while trying to check out sides and extras. You also have to probably do some squats to check out what is at the bottom of the menu. It's seems cool. but I wonder if it will work out. Luckily, there are mini-menus when you get to the register, but this might just slow the ordering process. 

I will praise au naturale for their service. Everyone was very helpful, especially when they explained how we would have to alter our orders because they were out of ingredients. This did not necessarily bother me since it was the Grand Opening of au naturale, however I don't think we got a fair introduction. Nonetheless, I will be happy to review it. 



Roasted Yam & Black Bean Burrito: brown rice, grilled peppers, onions and jucama with pasilla chili sauce and mexican cheese blend rolled in a warm whole wheat lavash flatbread wrap. each bite is a epicurean journey. trust us on this one. 

We took major issue with this burrito. It was made in a spinach tortilla wrap, however, the amount of roasted yams were so minute such that they should rename it. Laura described it as an expensive Taco Bell burrito. That is not a great reaction. She never started her epicurean journey...it was more like a modest saunter. 

Grilled Veggie & Goat Cheese: grilled portabella mushroom, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet peppers, onions, tomatoes, fresh basil, mixed baby greens and sun dried tomato aioli. nirvana for the vegetably-inclined. 



I really liked this entree. It was supposed to be on ciabatta, but due to shortages was in a spinach wrap. I really liked the flavors of the roasted vegetables, however, I could not taste the sun dried tomato aioli or the goat cheese. In fact, I would wager there may not have been any goat cheese in the wrap at all, which is what i was really looking forward to. Despite these shortcomings, I think that nirvana was missed for a vegetable lover like me. 

Grilled Ahi Tuna: let the gastronomic journey. begin with grilled ahi, vine-ripened tomato, cucumber, marinated sweet onion, mixed baby greens and lime-caper aioli. 



Rebecca knew she wanted the ahi tuna immediately, because if it's on the menu, she will eat it. I hate to launch an attack on au naturale, but Rebecca was really unhappy with her wrap. The lime-caper aioli was much too strong. It overpowered the tuna and flavors all melded such that the fresh ingredients did not matter anymore. 

However, I would have to say we will go back again. The grand opening of a new eatery is not always the best time to go since it takes a bit to order inventory accurately and master recipes all day. au naturale is trying to make good food fast and fast food good. Right now, they are making mediocre food kinda fast and kinda fast food a bit healthier. I know they aren't providing the type of service or food they are wanting to, however, in a few weeks, I'm sure they will be able to meet at least a few of their gastronomical dreams. 

So, try it out...maybe not for a few weeks to give them a chance to shake out some of the new restaurant jitters, so to speak.

It's located in Sugarhouse at:

880 East 2100 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84106

Hours: 

M-Th: 11AM -10PM
F & Sat: 11AM-11PM
Sun: 11AM-9PM

3 comments:

doug owner 1 said...

Hi,

I am Doug Nelson, one of the owners of au naturale. Your posts are right on! We had a very rough opening as we were overwhelmed by the number of people that showed up for lunch yesterday.

Please know that I take your criticisms to heart and that we intend to improve vastly over yesterday. We did run low on some ingredients and ran completely out of others which skewed the taste of many of our menu items. Also, our service turn-around time was far worse than what we aspire to.

Thanks to all of you for your valuable feedback. We are sincere in wanting to make au naturale a place where you love the food and love the service. If your experience was bad and you are debating whether to return, please ask for me should you decide to visit again. I would like to make your experience on par with our intention and compensate you for your below par one.

Sincerely,

Doug Nelson
Owner and Founder
au naturale
801 971-3300

Laura Cañate said...

I do look forward to trying au naturale again in a few weeks! Although yesterday's experience was not spectacular, it had all the makings of a delicious eatery and I definitely want to give it another shot!

bloggermin said...

Hi Diane,

I was reading your blog and was quite excited to hear such honest and pure writing, reviews, and thoughts.

I'll definitely be visiting often. You know what I appreciate the most? Being a small business owner myself, its nice to hear your opinions yet also the fact that you realize things cannot be perfect due to certain conditions. Businesses must always strive to make their customers happy and provide a superior product, but yes, we are human as well. Your post on au naturale was a great one! And I'm glad the owner was able to read it because it pointed out such great ideas or great ways to improve, which is so important!

In any case, when I'm in DC I will definitely go and check that place out-- I am sure their opening week was hectic, it always is but from your review I'd love to go! Take me!

Okay, I'm going to continue reading now :)

Just so you know, I did vote and I would like to hear about more recipes or ideas! We have a restaurant here in our hotel and I am constantly playing with the menu. Unfortunately, to hire a "great" chef also comes with "great" costs, so in the meantime my family is running it until that day comes. So, we aren't culinary experts, but we do want to make people happy and their bellies satisfied! Any recommendations? Let me know!

I hope all is well and thank you for introducing this blog to all of us readers out here! Two thumbs up and I'll visit again soon.

Now I'm hungry,
Min Kim

Related Posts with Thumbnails