Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Old Restaurant Reviews

After being in DC, I remembered restaurant reviews from my old, less focused blog and I decided let's make the old new by including it in this one. So, although I am not trying to overwhelm you with updates, there is so much about to say about food. So here we go: Zaytinya and Capital Grille circa 2007. (It's fun to see how far I've come. )

Zaytinya


So, as many of you know, I'm a wannabe foodie, so I have decided to start writing my own reviews of restaurants I go to because last night I had such a beautiful gastronomical experience that I cannot avoid gushing about it. Last night, my good friend Mike Lundberg introduced me to Zaytinya. I have heard people gush about it before, but had no idea what I have been missing out on for the last two years. Zaytinya (meaning olive oil in Turkish) serves mezzes, which are similar to Spanish Tapas, but come to us from the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East. Let me just say to those two regions: Thank You.

We started with Hummus and a Greek Feta Cheese spread, which both exceeded by expectations by leaps and bounds. Next,
we had Garides Saganaki (sautéed shrimp with tomatoes, green onions,kefalograviera cheese and ouzo), which was my favorite! We also enjoyed Spice Rubbed Sirloin, Çerkez Tavugu (shredded chicken salad with a walnut-cilantro sauce), Chicken Muhammarah (marinated chicken served with a roasted red pepper & walnut sauce), and Ímam Bayildi (Ottoman style roasted eggplant stuffed with onions and tomatoes.) My taste buds were so happy last night and I recommend Zaytinya to anyone who values good food and great atmosphere. (Zaytinya also has an extensive Eastern Mediterranean and Middle Eastern wine list. Mike enjoyed a peppery light Lebanese red wine with our mezzes.Chateau Ksara, Reserve de Couvent, Cabernet Sauvignon / Syrah, Lebanon, ‘01)

I've raved about the food, but the service and atmosphere matched. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. We sat outside last night , as fall/winter has not really happened yet in D.C., and enjoyed taking the city in as we enjoyed delicious food and lively conversation. The decor inside is bright, inviting, and holds a sophistication and class reflecting Zaytinya's Mediterranean origins.

Heads up for Zaytinya lovers: From October 22-29th, Zaytinya is celebrating its 5th year anniversary with $5 cocktails, $5 desserts, and $5 mezzes! Get on it and call me if you go!

Zaytinya
701 9th Street NW
Washington, DC 20004
Phone: 202.638.0800
http://www.zaytinya.com/


Capital Grille


So last weekend Clayton and I went out on the town for a little celebration and splurged at Capital Grille. How do I feel like our choice? In a word: unapologetic. My palette was elated from all the refined flavors. The ambience is definitely a page out of 1940s steakhouse minus the sweet smell of cigars. The wait staff was profession, knowledgeable, and so attentive it was scary. At one point, we actually wondered if the wine racks we were sitting next to actually hid cameras and microphones. Furthermore, there is free valet (a must have in the city, especially in the shadow of the Capitol.) Finally, the bathrooms were insanely beautiful, with the softest disposable hand towels. (Don't believe me? Just ask Clayton. He just couldn't let them go.) Below, I have listed what we ate. I recommend this experience to anyone.

To start:
Calamari sautéed in garlic butter until golden crisp.
Then tossed with a house blend of peppers and scallions for a nice, fiery finish.

Some of the best calamari I have had. At first, we were thrown off by the lack of sauce, but the peppers added the perfect amount of acidity to finish off this small bite.

Diet Coke: Which they served both in a glass and a small glass diet coke bottle. Don't worry, refills were free. I love America.

Main course:

Clayton had:
Dry Aged Porterhouse--rare (of course!)
Our signature, 24-oz. steak saves you from making the tough choice between
a sirloin or a filet. Both come in this dry aged, hand sculpted, steak lover's dream.

Delicious. Clayton has almost converted me to the beauty of a well-done rare steak.

I had:

New York Strip Steak out of Kansas City --medium
Topped with onions and mushrooms, dry aged and crusted with peppercorn

It was insane! I loved every second of it.

Baked Campanelle pasta and fresh Lobster meat, tossed in a Mascarpone,
Havarti and Grana Padano cream sauce, topped with Panko bread crumbs
and grated white cheddar.

No wonder I loved it. Two of my favorite cheeses: Mascarpone and Havarti

This experience was one for the books and I will miss all the good eats Washington, D.C. has to offer.

Check out the Capital Grille .

3 comments:

krsiti williams said...

Zaytinya sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it out. Now I just need to find someone who’s willing to take me the week of the 22nd through the 29th:)

Jamie said...

Yum. I need to stop reading this right before lunch. It's torture.

Minnow said...

What's the deal with 14-24 oz steaks? It reminds me of The Simpsons episode where homer has a steak eating contest with the trucker. The trucker has a heart attack and Homer takes over...Classic. I had the au pouive (I wish I knew French) Sirloin. Delicious.

Related Posts with Thumbnails