Saturday, October 25, 2008

Time to Give Thanks!



I know what you're thinking. Diane, it's only October 23rd...not time for turkey talk. Sorry friends, I'm over Halloween. Candy isn't my thing (sorry Caroline), but let's get to one of the most important meals of the year: Thanksgiving Dinner. I want to give Thanksgiving it's delicious dues. From the candied yams to cranberry sauce to pumpkin pie, and of course that delicious bird! So, what's the best way to go about it? We're gonna hit Thanksgiving in 10 ways:

  1. Tell me what you think about Thanksgiving. What do you want to know more about? What foods haunt you? What foods have you perfected?
  2. Ways to spice Thanksgiving up by taking old favorites and making them modern. (Hint: I hate pumpkin pie! So get ready for new dessert options)
  3. Some classic go-to recipes for our Thanksgiving favorites and for those leftovers.
  4. Finding a ways to not alienate the new found vegetarian in your family.
  5. Saving those crazy mess-ups in the kitchen. (I have trouble following directions). 
  6. Dishes you can make ahead to save you time.
  7. A couple of great ways to present your Thanksgiving dinner to guests.
  8. Perfect appetizers that won't ruin the main event.
  9. Alternatives to turkey...(I know it seems like sacrilege, but it will be delicious). 
  10. Food trends in Thanksgiving over the years. (Including recipes with plays on Thanksgiving flavors).


I am so excited for the holiday season, I can't help but jump the gun a bit. This season, I'm going to be taking tons of local cooking classes, trying lots of new culinary tricks, and definitely checking out local holiday fares at restaurants. 

I'm asking all my readers out there (cause I know you're there) to get involved. Comment, text me, email me...whatever! Celebrate the holidays with me! 

photos: 1) Laura basting a beautiful bird--thanksgiving '06; 2) cranberry sauce--bonappetit.com.

3 comments:

Laura Cañate said...

I am so excited about cooking and baking this holiday season!!!

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog! So much easier than Martha Stewart, especially with ways to save a messed up dish (I too have problems following directions). I think I just might be following your blog to steal some ideas for my own Thanksgiving dinner!!!

Jamie said...

I'm going to be on call this Thanksgiving, which means I'll be stuck in Butte all alone. Don't feel too sorry for me though, because my family is going to celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday just for me. I volunteered to make a pecan pie and butternut squash casserole for the event. Unless you can convince me there is something better I should try making! Your blog is awesome. I love the dedication you have to food. It's inspiring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails