Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Holiday Baking Must-Haves!

If you're like me, you've come down with baking fever! It will will probably last all season, so I find it is best to be prepared! I got thinking about all the must-haves for my holiday baking and I have included the top ingredients and tools I can't live without!


Tools: (check the recipe before you start!)
  • Electric mixer. Stand mixers are great for beating batters, mixing dough, and whipping cream. I am so thankful my mom gifted us her old KitchenAid. Hand mixers work great though, try to choose one that has a few different types of whisk attachments. 
  • Pans. Cake pans and Bundt cake pans, pie plates, tart pans, loaf pans, muffin tins, and cupcake tins...the list goes on! 
  • Baking sheets (rimmed and cookie). Cookie sheets without rims make it easier to slide the cookies off!
  • Cooling rack. It is crucial to remove baked goods from the pan to a cooling rack, if not, your baked goods will steam or continue to cook if they cool in on the pan. I love stackable racks. 
  • Measuring cups and spoons. Liquid and dry ingredients should not be measured with the same tools. Use measuring utensils for dry ingredients that can be leveled off, for exact measurements. Use glass or plastic tools with a pouring spout for liquid measurements. (Many serious bakers use scales to measure out all ingredients, so don't hesitate to get even more precise.)
  • Rubber spatula. I hate wasting dough and batter, spatulas help to get every last bit from the bowl. It also is a gentle tool for folding in ingredients as well. I love Williams-Sonoma silicone spatula as it can stand extremely high heat.
  • Metal spatulas. A thin- or narrow-bladed metal spatula for frosting a cake. A wide-bladed metal spatula for cookies or pancakes.
  • Pastry brush. Choose one with natural bristles for brushing egg, glazes or butter on tarts, pie crusts, or quickbreads. 
  • Rolling pin. I love French rolling pins! Whatever you get make sure you flour up that pin!
  • Cookie cutters. Metal cookie cutters are my favorite. I would avoid overly detailed shapes because you may end with a big blob.
  • Parchment paper. Instead of greasing your pans, this is much cleaner and non-stick product.  
  • Cupcake liners. To make easily removable and transportable cupcakes and muffins.  
  • Mixing bowls. I have various sizes for various sized tasks.
  • Candy Thermometer. If you ever want to make fudge or fry doughnuts successfully you will need one of these.


Ingredients:
  • All-purpose flour. This is the base for almost every recipe! 
  • Baking powder. This leavening agent causes batter to rise when baked.
  • Baking soda. Baking soda becomes a leavening agent in recipes containing acidic ingredients (buttermilk, sour cream, yogurt, etc.).
  • Butter. Unsalted butter is best for baking, it is important to control the salt. Make sure to check the directions for the butter first, sometimes it needs to be softened, cold or melted. Ignoring these directions will affect the integrity of your baked good. Tip: Chopped butter into smaller pieces before adding to your recipe. 
  • Brown sugar, confectioners’ sugar, sanding sugar, and granulated sugar. One holiday recipe can call for all these items. I try to have at least one back-up package at all times.
  • Pure vanilla extract. Pure extract, imitation will not work! I love the Nielsen-Massey brand, a bit more expensive, but man does it pack a flavorful punch!
  • Eggs. Make sure you crack your eggs in a separate bowl, to watch for a bad egg!


  • Heavy cream. The base for whipped cream, ice cream, custards and icing. This is also great in many savory recipes as well. (Think mashed potatoes, creamy sauces...let your tummy wander!)
  • Milk. Traditional recipes assume that the baker will use whole milk, so swapping in one percent or nonfat milks may result in a very different product.
  • Chocolate. Stock chocolate wafers in all varieties: milk, dark and white chocolate of dipping.  My favorite chips (morsels) to have on hand are Guittard or Callebut chocolates.
  • Spices. My favorite holiday recipes call for nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Store in a cool, dry place
  • Nuts. Brittle, pecan pie, or just candied almonds...all holiday must haves! Store these crunchy ingredients in the fridge. 
What are your baking must-haves? Any recipes we should try this year?
Kristi is ready...are you?


2 comments:

Danny and Lauren's Blog said...

Fun post. I am also in the mood to keep baking and cooking this season. I think I am on high because my turkey (and all the rest of the Thanksgiving food) turned out so yummy! Go me! Of course, your helpful blog and reassuring e-mails were a fantastic aide. Gracias and happy baking!

City Sweet Shop said...

This is such a great post! Now it is officially December all I want to do is bake. I just stocked up on my Guittard chocolate!

Related Posts with Thumbnails