Sunday, November 23, 2008

Food for Thought



This will by far be one of the worst holiday seasons for many Americans. Sure the stock market is basically a yo-yo, but more important than that is the number of people in your own community who will have to choose between keeping a roof over their heads and putting food on their tables. This year, the thing I am most thankful for is that I am in the position to help others. In almost every part of our country food banks think they will run out of food this year before than can possibly help everyone. It is no different here in Utah. According to the Utah Food Bank, one in eight children in Utah lives in poverty. That is unacceptable. I can help here and I urge you to help in your own communities. Here is what one farmer is doing to do their part.  If you're hosting a holiday party, add a charitable aspect to it: collecting food, money, or other needed items. I think a lot of times we think a little bit can't help, but more now than ever every little bit really does count. 

If you live in Utah, there are so many places you can help with money, food, or with your feet. Here are some places you can help:

  • Utah Food Bank Services' most needed items:
• Peanut Butter
• Tuna Fish
• Canned Fruit (low sugar)
• Canned Vegetables
• Canned Stews/Chili
• Boxed Meals
• Macaroni and Cheese/Pasta
• Turkey/Ham (accepted at UFBS location only)

Furthermore, because there are so many are cutting back on their budgets, Spam has made a comeback. I bet you didn't know that Spam has expanded to hot & spicy, lite sodium, oven roasted turkey, and even a spread. For that reason, I am including some ways to spice up Spam.



Here are a few that will get you going:


2 comments:

Laura Cañate said...

Thanks for talking about this great need this year. I am going to enjoy the holidays much more knowing that I've help other people!

Anonymous said...

Great plug for the Utah Food Bank. I'm crossing my fingers I'll get a job there! what a great organization!

Related Posts with Thumbnails