Monday, November 3, 2008

National Sandwich Day



I know I should I have told you all this yesterday, but today is National Sandwich Day. For those who know me, the worst part of me comes to the surface when it comes to sandwiches. Why? Sandwiches happen to be one of the few places that I demand perfection. I have cried over sandwiches that have fallen apart in the past. I have started a fight with my mother when she tried to help me out by cutting a large sandwich in half...yes, it was in a public restaurant in NYC. I have thrown away  seemingly good sandwiches simple because they weren't to my liking. 





So, where did a sandwich start? It's been rumored to start with the 4th Earl of Sandwich, John Montague, who wanted to eat without getting his cards greasy by meats during a long session of cards. Sandwiches seemingly gained their popularity when people started having to leave home to work and didn't get long enough lunch breaks and had to get their food in a quick and easy package. 





What gives a sandwich it's unique characteristics? Two or more slices of bread, with one or more layers of filling. That's it. It ranges from the cheesesteak to the Po'boy; the hero to the hotdog, even the hamburger to the panini, and the oh so classic PB & J.  




Here is a list of my favorite places to get sandwiches:
  • Robin's Nest (SLC)--sandwiches on wheat, white, marbled rye, and lots of others. They have cool names like The Flower Child (vegetarian) to Thanksgiving inspired sandwich with turkey and cranberry spread. My new favorite--BLT. 
  • J-Dawgs (Provo, Utah)--best hot dogs in the country! Hands down. 
  • Potbelly Sandwich Works (East and Northwest U.S.)--best hot sandwiches, I recommend the tuna salad with a sugar cookie!
  • El Taco Nazo (Chino Hills, Ca)--delicious tortas! I dream of them all the time.
  • Red Rock Brewery(Salt Lake City, Utah)--Really good Ruebens and great sandwiches of the day, like Tuna ahi sandwiches.
  • Billy Goats Tavern (DC)--Simple delicious burgers and classic (kinda buttery) grilled cheeses. 
  • Gelato Italiano (LA) Get delicious paninis and creamy gelato..even with celebrity sitings. 
  • Creamery on Ninth--9th Street Grill (Provo, Utah)--Laura digs their grilled cheese. 



Tell me your favorites! Go have a good sammy today!

2 comments:

Laura Cañate said...

I totally ate a sandwich yesterday! Also we do need to keep on top of announcing food related holidays!!! I will help! Everyone else who reads the blog should participate as well! It would be fun to know of new days or months to celebrate!

valerie said...

El Taco Nazo! ok, talk about a blast from the past - that takes me back - way back to high school. Tender memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails